<VV> Why "NO" Park ? ? (Valiant/Falcon)

Charles Lee chaz at ProperProPer.com
Tue Nov 18 13:19:03 EST 2008

Yes, we've all had those experiences - a girl friend of mine had her car
towed home when the "battery died" and it was just not in "Park" so it
would not start.

I don't remember if I told her, so maybe I did tell her, and that's why
I don't remember much after that ?

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org] On Behalf Of
RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2008 10:04 AM
To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Why "NO" Park ? ? (Valiant/Falcon)

Yes, the Valiant and Falcons had "Park."  Because they weren't designed
new
from the ground up like the Corvair, they tended to use as many common
parts as
possible with the rest of the product line.

The Valiant with automatic trans had "Push-button" selection of gears on
the
dash.  The "Park" function was performed by a small slider/lever just
beneath
the reverse, neutral and forward buttons.  At least this was the case on
some
years.  You had to move the park lever to the off position before you
could
put the car into drive or reverse.  I remember that my father pushed the
reverse
button through the dash trying to get it into gear because he didn't
know my
mother had used the park lever.  BTW, the park lever has nothing to do
with
the parking brake.

Doc
1960 Vette; 1961 Rampside; 1962 Rampside; 1964 Spyder coupe; 1965
Greenbrier;
1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe; 1967 Nova SS; 1968 Camaro ragtop
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In a message dated 11/17/2008 8:54:41 PM Pacific Standard Time,

> Message: 4
> Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 20:30:20 -0800
> From: "Charles Lee" <chaz at ProperProPer.com>
> Subject: Re: <VV> Why "NO" Park  ? ?
> To: <PatioMatt at aol.com>,    <VirtualVairs at corvair.org>
>
> Did Plymouth Valiant or Ford Falcon have "Park" ?
>
> I think it was probably because an economy car wasn't worth running a
12
> foot "Park" linkage to the trans, since that would have been much more
than it
> cost on the other, front engine economy cars, right ?
>
> Charlie

**************
Get the Moviefone Toolbar. Showtimes, theaters, movie
> news &amp;

more!(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212774565x1200812037/aol?
redir=http://toolbar.aol.com/moviefone/download.html?ncid=emlcntusdown00
00000