<VV> new subject? A/C questions

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Tue Nov 18 23:41:18 EST 2008

"...has anyone converted an early a/c system to R134a? is it worth  the
hassle?..."

For a while, before changing my A6 out for a Sanden  SD7, I ran my late model
system converted to 134a; the system  performed OK, but not as well as with
R-12. For this to work, at the least  you'll need to change the compressor oil.
There are other concerns, and the  following is a link to a Hemmings article
containing some useful info.
_http://www.hemmings.com/hmn/stories/2006/10/01/hmn_feature32.html_
(http://www.hemmings.com/hmn/stories/2006/10/01/hmn_feature32.html)

And another with more detail: _http://www.nichols.nu/tip306.htm_
(http://www.nichols.nu/tip306.htm)

Also, I can tell you (drawing from my trade  experience and education as an
A/C contractor), if you really want your  conversion to work the best it can:
1) change to barrier hoses with crimped  connectors and 134a compatible O-Rings
(the old hoses, internally soaked with  mineral oil, will leak a little refg.
through their walls (sorta'  bad), but the OEM stainless clamp terminations
just won't cut it at  all with 134a refrigerant (134a leaks easier, as it has a
much smaller molecule  than does R-12); 2) 134a requires more condenser than
does R-12... hence, you'll  either need to increase the size of the condenser,
or add an electric  helper fan (or you'll develop little or no subcooling,
and cooling performance  will be poor in hot weather and/or at idle). My
conversion dealt with a 67 coupe  having the condenser across the back of the fire
wall; hence, I was able to  add two fans (this add helped system performance
greatly, and was done in  conjunction with change to the Sanden compressor and a
134a TXV; so, cannot  comment on how just the fans would have helped with an
A6 still in  place) . On an early, I don't know how you would handle the
condenser  deficiency issue, and this may be a show stopper to getting an early
system to  work REALLY well with 134a.

Mike  Mauro

**************You Rock! One month of free movies delivered by mail from
blockbuster.com