<VV> <Air-Vair> Re: new subject? A/C questions

Greg Riley scottie2470 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 19 10:31:29 EST 2008

I have converted numerous early model systems to 134-A using the stock condenser with excellent results. The '61-5 large condenser are very forgiving.  I have had very poor results doing the same with stock '66-7 condenser.
You do need to follow advice regarding flushing the system, replacing hoses, correct refrigerant oil, o-rings, crimping connections, replacing drier, and expansion valve for one calibrated for 134-A.  A small pressure controlled electric fan can be hidden under the condenser inside the stock condenser cowling. This is desirable if the car is likely to get caught in traffic. However, I still believe the best solution for ALL 'Vairs is a trunk condenser. This will perform better (if installed properly) and enhance engine life.
In the final analysis R-12 is the best and most forgiving refrigerant I have ever used.
Good luck,
Greg Riley