<VV> 61 Loadside update and questions

The Reinharts jtreinhart at omnitelcom.com
Sat Nov 22 22:14:04 EST 2008

All, Spent the last few evenings taking apart the engine in the new Loadside. It appears that is was rebuilt at some point and only had a few miles on it until it was driven until it burned up. The cross hatch pattern is still very visible in the .040 over jugs with new pistons. No. 1 and 3 pistons have a quarter of an inch missing from the bottom of the piston all the way to the oil rings. Cylinders are dark colored and several valves in the 102 HP heads are blue in color. It takes at least 600 degrees to turn steal blue. I would guess the heads are junk. I may bore the cylinders to .060 just for the fun of it or bore some other cyls. Cam and lifters still look new. Rod and main brgs. were new but have had so much alum. from the pistons go through them they are junk. Crank looks ok but I have not measured it yet. Original V block looks ok but I need to clean it, reassemble it and measure the cam bores. If that isn't bad enough last night I decided to drain the rear end and trans. and do a quick visual inspection. Pulled the drain on the rear end and got more water out of it than rear end grease. Pulled the cover off and found there was no gasket under the cover. It appears this rear end layed around outside for some time without the gasket. Trans. and rear end are not original to the truck but has a HE stamp. Some surface rust is visible so I will have to completely disassemble it and inspect everything. Trans. is the same story. Now for some questions. When I rebuild the engine is it ok to rebore the cylinders after they have been so hot or is it better to start with some other cyls.? I have the original 80 HP heads which were not on the motor when it was destroyed. Should I use them or should I use some 102 heads that I have? I am not planning on using the truck to haul much for weight or to tow anything heavy. Is there any great advantages for one over the other. Obviously more HP and possibly a little better mileage with the 102 heads. Also if the rear end is junk I have two options. I have a 3:27 ratio rear end lying around or I know a club member who is willing to sell me a parts van at a great price. I see the 3:27 was an option in the FCs. Is the 4-speed and the 3:27 rear end a livable combination or should I stick with 3:89 gears?  Thanks in advance for all your helpful replies.

Jamie
ICE member
CORSA member
2010 CORSA Convention Director