<VV> VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 46, Issue 63

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Sun Nov 23 13:50:39 EST 2008

Bryan,

I do not know if it has been mentioned here but keep in mind that the two
ends of the rods experience different types of inertial forces.  You might want
to test and adjust them independently instead of merely weighing the rod as a
whole.  The piston side of the rod experiences only linear
acceleration/deceleration (as does the piston) while the crank side of the rod experiences mostly
rotary (centrifugal) forces.  Of course, the web experiences varied degrees of
these forces depending on how close it is to one end or the other.  Many
choose to select and adjust both ends of the pistons independently.  You can use
two of the cheapo scales you mentioned at the same time or weigh the ends
independently.  If they are weighed independently, the end not on the scale should
be supported at about the same height as the part on the scale.  Further, both
the part on the scale and off, should supported at the same points from rod
to rod for consistency.  Of course, if you are just going to use the engine for
putting around town. I wouldn't worry too much about it.  I don't think GM
did.

Another factor to consider, especially if you can't find 6 rods very close to
each other is the nature of the boxer design of our Corvair engines.  It is
more important to get the diametrically opposed pairs of rods identical than it
is to get all six rods close to identical.  (1-2; 3-4; 5-6) This makes your
task easier.  Also, if you have enough rods to select from, you might want to
select rods prestamped one through six just in case you or someone else
eventually rebuilds the engine again and wants to keep the rods in order during
reassembly.  I suppose you could carefully restamp them if you have the stamps.

Just a few suggestions.

Doc
1960 Vette; 1961 Rampside; 1962 Rampside; 1964 Spyder coupe; 1965 Greenbrier;
1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe; 1967 Nova SS; 1968 Camaro ragtop
In a message dated 11/23/2008 9:00:37 AM Pacific Standard Time,