<VV> carburetor problem? - Maybe

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Mon Nov 24 00:31:46 EST 2008

In a message dated 11/23/2008 9:01:21 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
texchem33 at yahoo.com writes:

Hello.  I am hoping one of you may have some wisdom you can pass  along.
I'm new to this Corvair thing and new to cars for that  matter but I'm learning
quickly.  I recently acquired a 1965 evening  orchid monza coupe and I just
love it.  As of lately I seem to be having  some carburetor problems.  (That's
my guess anyway).  The car idles  decently but when I press on the gas it sort
of "bogs down" like the engine is  being flooded.  I'm assuming this is the
problem but am not really sure  how to go about figuring out which carburetor it
is or where to go from  here.  I would greatly appreciate any advice.
Thanks!

Stacy Payne

Stacy - Before you dive into the carbs, be sure your ignition timing is
correct. If you have a timing light - (if you don't, find someone who does) -and
check the timing at idle. Depending on the exact motor in the Monza, the
timing  should be at about 12-16 degrees BTDC. If it seems stable there, reach down
-  CAREFULLY - and remove the hose to the vacuum advance port on the
distributor.  Plug the end of the hose with something like a golf tee. Now check to
see if the timing has changed. If it stays the same with the hose on or off -
at  idle, then you can hook the hose back up and start with the carbs. If the
timing  at idle changes with the hose removed, you will need to do carb
adjustment,  especially of the idle position screws. There should be no vacuum
advance at  idle. Leave the timing light in place - Cylinder #1 or #2. Turn the
motor  off. The first easy check is to see if each accelerator pump is working on
both  primary carbs. After removing the air cleaner, look down the throat of
the carb  and see if a little stream of fuel appears just above the cluster in
the throat  of the carb, when the throttle is quickly opened. A little shot of
gas  should come out when you crank the throttle open. If the engine will
run okay, you can check this with the motor running, and the  transmission "OUT
OF GEAR". Aim the timing light down the throat of the  carb as you crank the
throttle open. The flash from the timing light will  "freeze" the fuel as it
comes out of the discharge hole on the carb. If this  still shows nothing, then
it is, indeed, time to go into the carbs. - Seth  Emerson