<VV> 61 Loadside questions and updates

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Mon Nov 24 10:27:21 EST 2008

There have been several very good responses already, I'd like to add my two
cents.  I see three issues.

1) Engine torque, both at take off and cruise.  The 102 may be the worst
choice because of its high rpm biased torque curve. A late 95 or 110 is
recommended.  FC 110 (higher torque than a regular 110) is ideal.

2) Take-off ease.  There were three different first gear ratios for the
early style four-speed: 4.26, 3.65, and 3.20.  The overall first gear
combination with the rear axle ratio determines take-off ease.  Here they
are:
a) 3.89 x 3.65 = 14.20
b) 3.55 x 3.65 = 12.95
c) 3.27 x 3.65 = 11.93

d) 3.27 x 4.26 = 13.93

e) 3.89 x 3.20 = 12.44
f) 3.55 x 3.20 = 11.36
g) 3.27 x 3.20 = 10.46

In my experience, FCs like first gear ratios higher than 13:1.  (A,B.D
above)

3) Highway cruise. Any Corvair engine will pull an unloaded FC at cruising
speeds. 3.89 gears limit cruising speed to 65-70 and get the worst mpg. 3.55
gears offer balance of top speed and limited need for downshifting. 3.27
gears offer the easy cruising speed and the best mpg but require more
downshifting when combined with a weak motor or any motor when climbing a
hill.  I think 3.55 gears are the best selection for an FC.

I think that "B" 3.55/3.65 is the best selection for an FC with any motor
except a 102 or an 80.

A 102 or 80 probably needs an even lower first gear (14:1) so that leads you
to "A" or "D", the factory combinations.

If you install a particularly high-torque engine (ideal), such as a 164/95
or an FC 110 (110 with a 95 cam), "B" is still fine but "C" would provide
higher mpg and quieter and faster cruise.

I'd go with "B", 3.55/3.65
Craig Nicol