<VV> 61 Loadside update and questions

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Tue Nov 25 12:43:19 EST 2008

In a message dated 11/24/08 7:06:09 PM Pacific Standard Time,
corvairduval at cox.net writes:

> Hi Bob,
>
> You seem amazed that 600 degree head temp didn't instanly destroy the
> motor.

Hi Frank,
No, not at all. Both the turbo and 140 hp engines had their overheat sensors
set at 575 degrees, so it is possible to hit this temp and not destroy the
engine. However this temp should not be considered a normal operating
temperature. And it should not be considered a "good" thing that it is encountered.

But you seem to have taken my reference to 600 deg as some kind of actual
temp. My inclusion of it in my last post was simply a reference to Jamie's use of
600 as an indication of significant overheat. I don't know what caused his
engine to overheat or just how hot it got. But my approach is to be consevative
in the reuse of any parts that have been overstressed. I just hate to have to
redo any mechanical repair work because I took chances with marginal parts.
Regards,
Bob Helt