<VV> 61 Loadside update and questions

The Reinharts jtreinhart at omnitelcom.com
Tue Nov 25 17:32:18 EST 2008

Wow, I never thought that my questions would create so much discussion.
First off let me thank everyone for their responses. It has given me insight
into how I should move forward. I know already that I will be using my 110
HP parts and early V block to build my new motor. I will give updates as I
slowly, because of lack of time, rebuild the motor. It sounds like I should
also clarify my thoughts on how I know the engine overheated and how much.
We will never know for sure because the previous owner has passed on. All I
can do is speculate using the stories I have heard and the things I observed
as the engine was disassembled. The story I was told is he was driving from
Marshalltown to Cedar Rapids for a car show or an ICE meeting. Probably on
I-80 at interstate speeds, but I don't know this for sure. The engine
started to lose power and finally smoke was observed from the rear of the
truck and he pulled over. By this time there was a fire in the engine
compartment and the Fire Dept. was summoned. This is the story and now my
observations. The fire was contained to the distributor and the area
underneath the distributor. The fire burned up the spark plug wires and what
looked like the fan belt which I believe had come off at speed and piled up
under the distributor. There does not seem to be much impingement into the
lower shroud area around the filler tube as the o-ring on the tube is in
tact and pliable. What started the fire? I don't know. Did the belt come off
and pile up under the belt pulley and friction start it? Maybe. Or did the
engine get so hot that some small amount of oil caught on fire. Less likely.
As for explaining my 600 degree comment. After engine disassembly I noted
that the cyl. bores were of a dark color indicating that they were hot
enough that the oil was frying off of the cyl. walls. There was hardly any
carbon build up on the piston heads or in the heads so it was easy to see
that some of the valve heads were dark blue-black in color indicating that
they had been at least 600 degrees in temperature. How hot was the engine
really. I don't know but I would guess more than 600 degrees. Now as far as
Bob and Lon's comments I think they both could be correct in some areas.
Now, I am not an engineer or a metallurgist. I was a auto and diesel
mechanic and a tool maker so my comments are purely opinion. First we have
to realize our favorite engine is a relatively simple engine made up of
multiple components. Components which are made of three different metals.
Aluminum, Cast iron, and steel. In example: cast iron cylinders sandwiched
between an aluminum block and aluminum heads held together with steel studs.
All of which expand with heat at different rates. Now the tops of the cyl.
and the top head studs sit right under the cooling fan blowing cool air on
them constantly from start up. While the bottom of the cyls. and studs are
receiving heated air from the top of the engine. There can be many different
temperatures at various places on the engine at the same time creating
various amounts of expansion.  There has to be some flexibility built in to
the entire engine or it just would not work. Now the outside dia. of the
early cyls. is 3.736. My .040 overbore cyl. inside dia is 3.477. that's a
difference of .258. The gasket. sealing surface is .129 wide. Bore the cyl.
.020 more and the sealing surface is .119. That's pretty thin but it should
work if all the parts are to the correct tolerances. Meaning: the block deck
surface is in a straight plane, the block bores and the head bores are all
on the same centers, all the cyl. measure the same distance from the block
surface to the head sealing surface, all the bores in the head are inplane
with each other, and no nicks in either head gskt. sealing surfaces. It is
probable that the narrow width of the sealing area might swedge the aluminum
head through cooling and heating cycles, but I have seen this on stock late
model heads with standard bore. GM changed the outside dia. of the cyl. from
3.736 to 3.796. A difference of. 060 or .030 per side. This would make for a
larger surface area to seal on but add only slightly to rigidity.  As for
the inside mic. in the cyl. trick. I have used inside mics alot. if you set
it just right in a cyl. bore you only have to flex that bore one tenth of a
thousanth to get it to fall out. In conclusion I believe the cyl. flex is
built in. It just has to be. Just my .02 worth.

Jamie