<VV> I Could Use Some Advice

AeroNed at aol.com AeroNed at aol.com
Thu Nov 27 12:01:13 EST 2008

Bill,

Sorry to hear about your Dad. It sounds like he was a great Dad. How  about
renting a storage garage for the GM?

Ned

In a message dated 11/27/2008 10:57:47 A.M. Central Standard Time,
gojoe283 at yahoo.com writes:

B"H

Hi everyone...I had some sad  personal news.  My Dad passed away last week at
87, and even though he  could be a tough father at time, he mellowed in later
years, enjoying his  children and grandchildren, and told me "I Love You"
more than  once.

Much if not all, of my enthusiasm for old cars came from  Dad.  He had a
pretty good knowledge of old cars, and we would often  spend pleasant hours
reminiscing about the "good old days" of  motordom.

And therein lies a problem.  After the funeral and Shiva  last Thursday, Mom
handed me the keys to dad's mint-condition, low-mileage '97  Mercury Grand
Marquis LS Collector's Edition.  "Dad would have wanted you  to have the car,"
she said.

I openend the door, and inhaled the scent  of a new car.  Dad's car doesn't
have a scratch on it, and its 60,000  miles were lovingly driven with the best
of care.  Everthing works, and  the car has every comfort, convenience and
safety feature for today's  cars.  It runs like a dream, nice and smooth, lots of
power and lots of  posh.

Living in Brooklyn, New York, it's a problem.  It's a  crowded city borough,
and although I have a townhouse with garage, my '69 gets  the garage and the
tiny driveway can't really hold anything bigger than the  Vair.  Dad's GM and
the minivan sort of hang across the sidwalk, and that  of course means a
possible ticket from NYC's Finest, who are looking to enrich  a budget-crunched
city's coffers.

So, with a dire lack of parking  spaces, and the occasional car break-in
(glass all over the street and  sidwalk), I can't find the heart to leave Dad's
car on the street.

I  really want to keep the GM for sentimental value, since it was Dad's pride
and  joy, but I do love my '69 as well.  Lately I've been tempted to sell her
 and keep the GM.

What should I do?  Any opinions would be  appreciated.  If I do sell the
Monza, the buyer will get a 56K miles  rust-free Corvair that runs and drives nice
and tight, with a new, inexpensive  but pretty good paint job, special Super
Sport trim, with a virtually perfect  body and a car in excellent mechanical
condition, with new radial whitewalls  that could be driven anywhere, it's
literally a turn-key car.

A happy  Thanksgiving to all my Vair friends!...Bill Hershkowitz 69 Monza 110
 PG

the property
of the  writer, please attribute properly. For help,
mailto:vv-help at corvair.org
http://www.corvair.org/
Post messages to:  VirtualVairs at corvair.org
Change your options:  http://www.vv.corvair.org/mailman/options/virtualvairs