<VV> Problems solved - thanks!

Delta Mfg. deltainc at grm.net
Fri Nov 28 14:02:10 EST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Grant Young" <gyoungwolf at earthlink.net>
Subject: <VV> Problems solved - thanks!

> - rough idle, lack of power, and backfiring on de-acceleration, even with
> rebuilt carbs: owner had changed the plugs and set them at the recommended
> points gap instead of the recommended plug gap :-). (last thing I checked
> since they were new :-(.
> Grant
********
Hi, that sounds a little funny ....  maybe the plugs were not opening long
enough?  too little dwell??

Heh heh, but seriously ... now...  take my corvair ... please !!

But seriously ...  are you sure the plugs are in the correct range ...
cold plugs can do about the same thing....  I remember learning this on my
62 TR4, a 300 mile trip with 1 range cold plugs... didnt work well in a
heavy fog when I had to run about 15 mph for 8 hours ...    oh yeah, were
you running a hot coil and Hot spark box ??

FWIW, here is something else that could go wrong ... I loaned my Farmall to
a friend this summer, with all new ignition set and wiring ... he left it
parked with the points closed and ignition switch on ...  the last place I
looked when then it wouldn't start was the points, which were welded
together ...  rewiring ( part duex ) will be next spring.; amazingly the
coil survived ( so far ) at the full 12 volts ( no resistor ) .  Hmmm maybe
the welded points burned the battery down fast enough to save the coil.

It could be worse ... our beloved Mitsubishi Talon is deader than a door
nail ... I now have to go to night school for fuel injection ....  it's
almost for sure the MAP, the IAC, the TPS, the IAT, the CTS, the TB, the
FMS, or the FP, or maybe even the CPU .....   dang....

regards, ken campbell, Overly Injected in Iowwu