<VV> Picking up car in Denver & 1960 corvair unique problems

David Houston judgehouston at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 2 14:10:37 EDT 2008

I just want to warn you that I had a friend check out a corvair sw in Denver some time ago. This one had a broken rear window and reasonably priced and hadn't been on the road for years. I can't remember the sellers name, but it appeared kids had vandalized the fuel system with paint,soda,dirt,etc.... The motor was contaminated as well, so I stayed away. I hope it's not the same vehicle. Closer to home I looked at a 1960 4dr sedan with gas heater. The trunk was rust free, but the floor under both seats was soft at best due to salt used on Maine roads. It hadn't been driven since 1981. The motor started right up and the PG shifted. The butterfly/choke system had broken a shaft and was fixed by a bent 5" bolt.The engine compartment was solid sheet metal.  The owner had dropped his price from $3000 to $ 2400 after 4 months. He lost his storage and can't keep it in his Apt. lot. Having replaced VW floors I know it involves much careful work. I think its
 worth about $400 at best. The whole inside is ratty! Glass good. What are 1960 problems? finding parts? etc?