<VV> Lifter noise - recommendations

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Oct 7 13:09:01 EDT 2008

In a message dated 10/7/2008 8:25:40 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,  hugpeg at embarqmail.com writes:

It has  been some time since Peg and owned our 1966 Corsa.  Our "new" 1965 140/4  makes a distinct tapping sound upon start up.  It goes away after a  couple of miles of gentle driving.  I seem to remember some of this on  our previous car but it would lead one to think that there is some adjustment  needed.  The oil is at 3/4 of the full mark.  Is this oil just not  getting to the right place at the right time?  Is it ok to replace the  petro oil with Amsoil?  I have this in my other vehicles and have had  great service.
Thanks
Hugh

Hugh - The tapping 'til warm phenomenon usually depends on how often you  drive the car. You have a lifter that tends to bleed down over time. As Harry  noted, pretty normal for a 40 year old car, somehow the Corvair is a little more  prone to it, but the fact that it pumps up after a couple of miles means the  lifter isn't too sludgy (technical term) inside. My guess is if you drove the  car regularly - as in daily - the lifter would actually free itself even more  and not bleed down as often. Your idea of going to a Synthetic oil is fine. What  I would do is pour in a lifter freeing additive - There are dozens on the  shelf at your local parts store - into the existing oil. Then drive the car a  bunch, allowing it to heat up and fully flush through your systems. At least you  know that the oil is going through that sticky lifter, since it is pumping up.  Then change to the Synthetic oil and replace the filter (I recommend  WIX or Clarks filters). I also recommend filling the filter up before  installation to minimize the non-oiled time for the bearings. If, on  filling the oil, you end up a little low on the stick after running the  motor to fully flush out any air, add a little more of the lifter freeing  additive. Since this is going onto Virtual Vairs, I am sure that folks will make  suggestions for additives which have worked for them. I encourage it. PS, some  folks just add a little Automatic Trans Fluid, it is a great detergent. - Seth  Emerson
**************New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your destination.  Dining, Movies, Events, News & more. Try it out (http://local.mapquest.com/?ncid=emlcntnew00000002)