<VV> Looking for help with a couple of problems

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sat Oct 11 12:36:02 EDT 2008

Inseted answers below:

Bob Gilbert wrote:

>Hi,
>

>I just completed my first major trip with my 66 180 since its restoration a
>few years back. All went well on the 500 km trip but I did have a couple of
>issues, thankfully nothing major as we were crossing the Rockies in early
>October!
>

>The first was that the throttle is very "tippy" at 60 MPH cruising speeds.
>It is almost like an on-off switch at that speed making it quite difficult
>to maintain a steady speed. Is this common to turbos or is it a linkage
>issue I need to figure out?

This is not normal. Check the linkage for smoothness.

>The second item is an oil leak that manifests itself on the sheet metal by
>the turbo drain hose. I have replaced the hose and the clamps and this was
>the first run since they were done and nothing has changed. Could it be
>"backing up" from the intersection of the metal line that into the head?

Backing up would only leak due to hole in the hose or loose clamps.
Until the hose blew off. ggg Take the hose off and make sure the tube is
clear into the head. Make sure there is no pin hole on the metal tube
going into the head, or out of the turbo. Also make sure the oil is not
actually exiting the engine somewhere else and just pooling at that
point. Blowing out of the dipstick is a possibility. Maybe a leak at the
chrome oil pressure line going into the turbo. Clean it up and drive it
to test.

Frank DuVal