<VV> Electrical charging system problem - Help

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Mon Oct 13 01:00:54 EDT 2008

The voltage regulator controls the voltage output, not the alternator.
So you have a voltage regulator that is not working. Since you swapped
the regulator, the top two causes are:

1. New volatge regulator is also defective. Not too common, but can happen.

2. The wiring between the voltage regulator and alternator is defective.
Specifically the field wire is going to a source of +12 volts, therefore
"full fielding" the alternator.

Unplug the two wire plug going into the alternator and see if the
voltage out drops to battery voltage (12.6 volts or so). This is
correct. If the voltage does not drop, the problem is inside the
alternator. I haven't seen this.

Proper output voltage should be 13.5 to 14.5 volts above idle. 17 volts
will fry other electronic components.

Since you say you have swapped the regulator and alternator, I would
look very close at the wiring. The idiot light should work, and this may
be a clue to where the error is.

Frank DuVal