<VV> No spark issue - Need Recommendation for system check

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Mon Oct 13 10:54:08 EDT 2008

Hi Michael,

On Oct 13, 2008, at 9:27 AM, Michael Cobb wrote:

> Started changing the oil.  I had read in the recent Communique
> "Pull the coil wire and ground it to the engine - crank the car to
> pump out the cooler/oil filter."  I figured I would give that a
> try.  Pulled coil wire - cranked car for 10 sec.

Personally, I really don't like this idea.  If you change the oil
regularly, that little bit of semi-dirty oil left in the system won't
matter.  I think it's much worse to have an oil cooler full of air on
startup.

> Afterward, everything seemed normal.  Dirty oil out - Clean oil in/
> new filter.  Reattached coil wire and tried to start car.
>
> Not sure what happened, but car will not start now.  It just
> cranks.  I can smell fuel, so fuel isn't the issue.  I checked for
> spark, and there does not appear to be a spark.

If you have some sort of electronic ignition, my guess is you fried
the controller.  If points, I'd try swapping the coil.

--Bryan