<VV> Recommendation for system check

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Mon Oct 13 12:49:13 EDT 2008

In a message dated 10/13/2008 6:27:53 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
themoose at bellsouth.net writes:

Afterward, everything seemed normal.  Dirty oil out - Clean oil  in/new
filter.  Reattached coil wire and tried to start car.

Not  sure what happened, but car will not start now.  It just cranks.  I  can
smell fuel, so fuel isn't the issue.  I checked for spark, and there  does
not appear to be a spark.

I have tried to check everything I can,  but of course, there's always
something that can be  missed.

If you do not have electronic ignition, the correct way to check for spark
at this point would be to pull the coil wire out of the cap - leaving it in the
 coil tower - and hold it close to ground. Cranking should produce a lot of
ignition sparks with a gap of 1/8 to 1/4" - If you are not getting sparks
here,  you likely have a primary circuit problem. First hook the coil wire back
up!  Then see if you have voltage on the coil post connected to the engine
compartment harness - not the wire from the distributor. If no voltage - with
ignition on - you have a wiring problem in the feed. If you have voltage here,
hook a dwell meter (non-digital is better here) to the other coil post -  the
one with the wire from the distributor attached. Crank the  motor and see if
the dwell meter jumps during cranking. If it doesn't move, go  into the
distributor and check the point gap and wiring attachments.  If  you do have
electronics inside the dist, the procedure is about the same, but at  some point, the
failure will be indicated as the electronic module. Good  Luck.  - Seth Emerson

Ignore the AOL crap below: