<VV> Second Recommendation

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Mon Oct 13 13:01:02 EDT 2008

In a message dated 10/13/2008 9:40:04 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
lechevrier at earthlink.net writes:

>Pulled coil wire - cranked car for 10 sec.

"pulling" is  not the same as "grounding" which is always what is
recommended , meaning  pull the coil wire at the distiributor (NOT at the
coil) and ground this  free end to whatever (so the spark has a place to
go) -- helps prevent  engine fires, personal injuries, and sudden
unexplained ignition failures,  esp with electronic systems.

I am a highly trained (350 credit hours  from SHK) professional (Do Not
Attempt This At Home), so, "Do as I say,  not as I do!"

Bill Strickland

Bill is correct. In the first instance you were disabling the ignition to
crank it without starting. The only safe way to do that is to provide an  easy
path for all sparks from the coil to get to ground. A couple of clips  and a
copper wire will do that.  If you are just checking to see whether  you have a
spark, the easiest way is to simulate a spark plug - by using another  spark
plug. Pull a plug wire off, insert a leftover plug from your last tune-up,  and
hold the plug on a good ground - somewhere away from the carburetor is
recommended. Cranking the motor should provide a spark for every time that  cylinder
would have fired - right across the spark plug gap. If you hold  the plug
away from a good ground - you likely will become the ground! That will  also give
you an indication of an adequate spark, along with some involuntary
exercise.  - Seth