<VV> Proper Tire Pressure?

Bruce Schug bwschug at charter.net
Wed Oct 15 13:02:17 EDT 2008

On Oct 15, 2008, at 11:23 AM, Ken Lundy (Home) wrote:

> I just purchased a set of Firestone FR380 radial tires.
> Size: P185/80R13.
> They are on a 1964 Monza Convertible – 110 HP.
> What is the recommended tire pressure front and rear for these tires?
> Regards,

As you already have, you'll get lots of answers to this question.
There is no "right" answer. The only thing that you must adhere to is
to inflate the rear tires about 10 pounds more than the fronts. This
can probably vary from 8-12 pounds, but 10 is the rule of thumb.

Beyond that, it is pretty much how you want the car to feel. You might
like 18 in the front. Another guy will feel he likes 22 better because
it gives him easier steering and a little better steering response. A
third Corvair owner may use even more than 22.

I suggest you start with maybe 22 in the front and 32 in the rear and
see how it feels to you. Then, you might go up to 26/36 or down to
18/28 and see. At some point, you'll find where you're comfortable,
where it just feels best to you.

You may feel that 18-22 is pretty low for radials, and you would be
right. But remember, Corvairs don't have a lot of weight on the front
end - it's all relative.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
Treasurer & Membership Chairman