<VV> Wrapping Turbo exhaust

Dave Thompson dave.thompson at verizon.net
Thu Oct 16 00:53:22 EDT 2008

I just finished helping a buddy wrap his headers for his turbocharged Chevy
350 he is building for his boat. He gave me the leftover 20 some feet of 2"
X 1/8" webbing insulation wrap and some ties. I understand how the hotter
the exhaust, the faster it will flow, thus allowing the turbo to spin up
faster. I also understand that the pipes do not last as long. (Am I right?)

My question is: Is it really worth the effort for me to wrap my exhaust on
my 63 Spyder?  I plan to remove the crossover and up pipe to wrap them. My
pipes look relatively new. They aren't rusty yet. Could I make them last
longer by spraying them with several coats of black high temp paint before I
wrap them? I have heard about porcelainizing headers. How much that would
cost and is it worth it?

As always, Comments, suggestions, flames and wise cracks welcomed.

Dave Thompson

Westminster, CA

63 Spyder vert