<VV> tire pressure

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Thu Oct 16 08:40:53 EDT 2008

Corvair tire pressures were set with bias ply tires - radials are
considerably different.  The factory settings were also a compromise
- sporting drivers back in the 60's often didn't use them.  Anything
wrong with the factory settings?  Nope, if you're happy with whatever
tire pressures you're using, I'd keep on using them.

I've been generally been using 35 in the rear of a Corvair since
shortly after getting my first one, which had radials.  Front tire
pressure has varied depending on tire size, but with equal sized
tires, I run 27.  Some folks don't like that much.  *If* you like to
attack corners, then you might want to try these settings - they keep
the tire from rolling over onto the sidewall, the handling is
considerably crisper.  Periodically I've tried something else, but
that's where I end up - yes, I like it better that way.  An added
benefit is a little better fuel mileage and improved tire wear (I
realize that might not matter to many folks anymore).

--Bryan