<VV> Convention in the summer, location, and other stuff. LONG

tim mahler flat6vair at comcast.net
Mon Oct 20 21:08:28 EDT 2008

Ned,  I would settle for some notes,  email, letters, etc to the current
board members with suggestions, although having more candidates for the
board, with more ideas, would be welcomed.

The by-laws state that an annual convention be held, and that the convention
be rotated amongst the the three regions -- so it is "close" to each region
at least once every three years.  The Convention Policy, as written many
many years ago  state that "the convention is to be held in the vacation
season with preference for the last week of July or first week of August"

I was reading a Chicagoland Corvair Enthusiast newsletter recently and noted
an article from one of the original CORSA board members.  It stated then
that the CORSA was a family oriented organization and the convention should
be in the summer to accomodate that thought.  Having it rotate amongst the
regions was a goal of that same board.  So everyone could attend a
convention that was "close"

Location:
On another forum,  a question was asked why the convention always seemed to
be so far away -- Ventura was on the west coast, Jacksonville on the easy
coast,  neither is close to Kansas or Illinois .
Close is relative.  California and Texas are BIG states.  It takes a while
to travel from one end to the other.  Miami to Jacksonville is a trip too. .
Having the conventions in various areas of the country, hopefully gets one
close to you at some point.   If not;  talk your local chapter in submitting
a proposal to host the next convention.

weather:
The western convention have been "cooler" the last 3 that I have attended.
The last 5 conventions have been nice, for me.  But I am from central
Illinois where summers get into the 90s regularly and the humidity is as
high as the south many days.  I've baled hay, the old square bales, in this
weather.
CORSA is a classic car club -- meaning we want , need?,  Corvairs at the
convention.  Holding the convention in December through March means snow in
the northern half of the USA and most of Canada.  Traveling in those
conditions is not fun with just a car,  towing a trailer is next to
impossible.  So regardless of where the convention is held,  those months
need to be excluded.
November and April are iffy months.  Illinois has had ice storms during
these months,  ice is worse then snow.  can't see it, no traction, and on
bridges,  it tends to sneak up on you.  Been there, done that,  dang scary
experience. .  toss those 2 months out if you want good attendance;
especially Corvair attendace.

Down to May through October.
May is still fairly rainy with frequent thunderstorms.  Lightening is
dangerous.  Temperatures are OK, most of the time,  may be a bit chilly in
the morning.  October is dryer,  but it is crisp in the evening and morning
in the upper half of the NA continent,  snowing in some places.  If we
limited the conventions to the "southern states"   may be OK.  The other
consideration is the amount of sunshine, or rather the lack thereof.  Here
in Illinois, in mid October,  it is (pitch) dark at 6:30pm.  Not much fun
for the parking lot crowd.

The weather, and limited sunshine,  mostly eliminates October through May.

Ok  What about September?
September is not part of the vacation season, but otherwise is nice weather,
sometimes cooler but not always.  But the families (I've seen grandkids
attend with their grandparents as well as children and their parents) ,
college students, teachers, and farmers would not be able to attend. Or the
spouse would have to stay home with the kids... yeah right (I know some
fathers are lucky and get to do just that but....)   The recent CORSA survey
indicated 21.7% of CORSA members have children in school. Another 1.1%
indicated that they themselves were in school.  That may be a minority,  but
a sizable minority that, in my mind,  makes September a non ideal convention
month.

That leaves June, July,  and  August.   Which just happens to be the usual
definition of the vacation season that most convention occur.

Is it warm?  yes, in most areas.  Humid?  anywhere east of the Rockies, yes.
But it makes it more fun to sit in the parking lot talking to all your (new)
Corvair friends who quickly become old friends.

If you can tell me when to hold a convention at another time that doesn't
exclude a large portion of the CORSA community -- I'm all ears -- SEND ME A
NOTE OFF LIST  <please drop VV from the subject line or I may miss it,
filters>  -- if a discussion is started on the Chapters List,  I will pay
more attention -- that is a good place for this discussion as well.

Do we need to try different things?  yes. Lon,  we do.    The convention
started as a (long)  Weekend  event. Most recently we have been trying the
M-F format to allow week-end travel time before and after the convention.
We MAY need to consider reducing the length of the convention back to a
weekend. That may allow May, September and October to be considered.  I
don't see , at the moment,  how a November to April could work unless we can
inexpensively transport our cars to the convention site without risk of snow
and ice.  <Kansas never sees snow does it? >

The youngster gather around the autocross?  hmmmm........we may need to
bring back the gymkhana --
-- maybe with go-karts; maybe with tri-cycles?   maybe  just on foot ? for
kids of all ages......(hate to exclude Rick)

tim mahler
CORSA board member,  Central division
current CORSA president.