<VV> Florida Convention

PETER INMAN monza1965 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 20 17:35:08 EDT 2008

OMG! I usually just lurk, but this is driving me crazy. Jacksonville is a great place for a convention. I lived in Jax Beach for years and never lacked for things to do.

Jacksonville/Atlantic/Neptune Beaches are 17 miles from Jacksonville all very nice, family friendly beaches. There is no charge for the beaches and parking is very close by. Jax Beach has festivals every weekend right on the beach and all is free. The traffic is very well managed and the area is not full of wild, screaming teenagers. It is a very safe area and high on our favorites list. You can walk anywhere during the day and not be concerned about getting mugged.

To say that
>The people are unfriendly,
Is totally untrue. The people in the Jacksonville area are hospitable and go out of their way to be friendly. Peter and I went to a convention out west a few years ago and actually left the second day because we found the people to be so unfriendly, so I guess it is all in personal observation and experience.

And to say…
>and almost everyone is over 70 and won't drive over 35 mph in the passing lanes. They take up all the parking spots at the post offices while they read their mail. They never look when backing nor signal when turning (except the few who still have their signals on from the day before).

I find this absolutely hysterical. I have been to a number of national conventions and this totally describes many of the members…and I say that with love!  J  The semi traffic at the, Pennsylvania convention was unbelievable. I have never driven in such a hot city with so many semi trucks in my life, and I have done a lot of driving. I would take a slow 70-year old over a semi any day.

>There are no places to eat except McDonalds for breakfast and crowded buffets.
This is a completely uneducated remark. Jacksonville is a very diverse city with tons of dining options. You can easily find any cuisine your little tummy craves. Jacksonville.diningguide.com

>Unless you like standing in lines for cartoon characters
Umm... that would be Orlando… 2.5 hours away, and a great side trip for the kiddies.

>. Some people are even too dumb to vote.
Oh, I’m sorry, didn’t realize we were going to talk about Ohio, too.

>Get used to it, people. If it's summer, it's going to be hot….Mark
                Finally…someone who understands that summer is hot...everywhere.

>There is no good time to please everybody…Mike Clark…another smart guy.

Spring break is not the same dates everywhere so that the crowds are spread out in the beach areas. Anyone who has ever lived in a popular spring break area will tell you that this never the time to schedule ANYTHING. The differences in spring break dates make scheduling difficult as well.

Winters here in northern Michigan can be fierce. This is not a good time for travel to a convention, or for scheduling a convention. Since most people plan their vacations in the summer, seems a given to plan the conventions in the summer.  If Florida is too hot, don’t go, but be respectful of the people that are working so hard to put the convention together. Florida is a great place with many things to do.

Sarah…this is one convention I REALLY want to go to!  The only thing I would do different… hold it at the Beaches and not downtown.

Beth InmanDACC