<VV> Longest Race Centennial

Dennis Dorogi dfamily at fairpoint.net
Tue Oct 21 10:05:23 EDT 2008

It was a beautiful sunny day yesterday so I drove my rampside.  I met up with the Longest Race caravan in Fredonia, NY. and helped one of the drivers to find a new cell phone charger since I knew the area.  I drove with them for 50 miles or so and turned around at Northeast, Pa..

This is a dedicated group.  One vehicle was an open car and the occupants were bundled up but were still cold as the temperature was in the 50's.  It appeared to be a car as it would look in the 1920's -a great visual image with the goggles, bearskin coats, & numerous American flags on the rear of the car.  They were going to be leaving Cleveland this morning - it is raining and cold today, but they are a hardy group.  I hope they make it to California without too many problems.

My rampside was running great and I felt like it could make it to California too, but I knew my body couldn't.  Thanks to NFCC President Joe Penolino for closing my rear engine door when it popped open.  I wondered what he was doing at the rear of the rampside at a traffic light.  It was a fun day and a good excuse to have a pleasant drive.

Gary Swiatowy from NFCC also, drove with them from Buffalo to Springville, N.Y. where I understand they were warmly greeted by waving school children. The drivers put a wreath on the grave of George Schuster the original winner of the Longest Auto Race.  Gary will probably cover the Springville segment as he was there.

The caravan was accompanied by a corvair through all of New York State.  I hope other clubs can do the same. This is the website for the Longest Auto Race.  http://www.longestautoracecent.com/downloads.html

Dennis Dorogi, NFCC, Brocton, NY.