<VV> Corvair fuel pump

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Wed Oct 22 09:59:48 EDT 2008

"...Why would you not buy from our Vendors?..."

Well, I've tried; I've purchased from all three vendors prominently  selling
new Corvair fuel pumps. On the Greenbrier, the result has always  been the
same: the pumps eventually start weeping fuel from between the pump  sections.
Tightening the top screws stems the seepage for a time, but  the leakage
eventually returns. To improve thread bite, I've added  thread inserts in the pot
metal bottom housings, but the relief was only  temporary. After many, many
failures (and my complaints falling on deft ears  from the vendor), I finally
searched out and found a good replacement from NAPA;  their part number: M3988, as
produced in the USA by Federal Mogul.

I've been using the NAPA pump for about 2-years. I took one  apart: the
spillover "damn" IS present. Moreover,  the diaphragms are fabric reinforced.
Again, after having multiple failures with  other supplier's pumps, the NAPA pump
is the only one I've found that does not  eventfully start weeping from between
the sections. I've also had other  supplier's pumps simply quit pumping for
no apparent reason. OBTW: I use a  filter between the fuel tank and the inlet
to the pump.

Curiously, I don't have the fuel weep problem on my 64 Spyder, nor the 67
coupe; I surmise this is due to the higher elevation (in relation to the fuel
pump) of the fuel tank in the FC design.

Cheers,
Mike Mauro
64 Greenbrier Deluxe, 64 Spyder Convertible, 67 Factory Air 110 PG  Coupe

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1211625659x1200715650/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=6
68072&hmpgID=82&bcd=emailfooter)