<VV> Safety First ! Prevent car fires!

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson at atlas.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 18:32:50 EDT 2008

About 10 years back, when I had my turquoise blue 65 Monza Coupé, I was
driving along a country lane near here (single track, very bumpy, poor
quality, passing places for if you meet someone coming the other way -
here's a pic of one):

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_FOQXeW52-y8/RlNRJA95l_I/AAAAAAAAABA/z9HhbPrc9tA/IMG_0006.JPG

This one is below average quality, but not *that* much below average, and it
shows why I could do something as apparently stupid as hitting a rock lying
in the road! And as an aside, I really HATE living here! I would love to go
and live somewhere more civilised (i.e. less mud, less rain and gas less
than $7 a gallon! And no Discoveries like the ones in the pic - goodness,
how I HATE Discoveries! They are all smelly, slow diesels and I get stuck
behind them the whole time, even in my English flathead Ford (36 bhp).

But my wife won't move, and it's easier to stick with the same wife because
I have got used to her (;-)))

Anyway, I heard a thump from under the front end. I got out and looked under
the car, and found that I had hit a rock which was lying in the road, that I
hadn't seen. There was also a colourless fluid dripping from the tank, which
smelled of petrol (gasoline to you). I was not very pleased, as I had just
filled up @ the then-price of 'only' $7 a gallon.

Luckily, it was all downhill to where I was staying, so I freewheeled there
(I was worried about starting the engine, although probably with no just
cause).

When I got back home the last drip of petrol was just exiting the tank (I
think I had lost about 15 gallons - whatever the tank capacity is). I was
staying on a farm, and one of the other guests was a Saudi pipeline welder.
He got me to remove the tank, fill it with exhaust fumes and he welded it (I
went and hid because I couldn't believe it wouldn't explode, but it didn't).
I refitted the tank and had no further problems.

But I have always wondered what would have happened if the impact with the
rock had caused a spark. I seem to remember, about 10-12 years ago, a pic on
the front of the Communiqué of someone's car completely ablaze - I think
they had hit an obstruction on the Interstate, and it had caught fire. They
had managed to get out but couldn't do anything to save the car, so they
took some amazingly spectacular photos instead.

Anyone remember who it was? Do they do VV?

Cheers

Alan

P.S. I was amazed to find, when I refilled the tank, that it took 3 gallons
to get the fuel gauge needle *up* as far as the empty mark. It made me much
less worried about running out after that, although I guess it probably
wouldn't be able to pick up the last gallon or so??