<VV> Safety First ! Prevent car fires!

Jim Simpson simpsonj at bellatlantic.net
Sun Oct 26 09:55:59 EDT 2008

<Most of us just install a 50 amp Fuse or Fuseable link at the  main  battery >
</ alternator / Body Harness junction.>
<>
<Matt  Nall>

Fusible links are a great idea, but that wouldn't have prevented the
problem in this fire.  Many wiring harness fires are caused by
currents much lower than the 50 amps that the fusible link will
allow.  Think about this -- a twisted wire connection (not soldered,
not crimped) that has 1 ohm of resistance.  (Not a lot, but
significant.)  There's a short downstream of that connection to
ground.  Assuming a nominal battery voltage of 13 volts, that short
will allow 13 amps to flow.  (I = E/R)  The heat (watts) at that poor
connection will be I^2 * R or 13 * 13 *1 or 169 watts.  That's
HOT.  Hot enough to start a fire.  And the fusible link won't do you
a bit of good until the fire spreads far enough to short a MAJOR wire
to ground -- if it ever does.

Bottom line is to do wiring RIGHT.

Jim Simpson
Group Corvair