<VV> Slideshow of postcards ALL with Corvairs!

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson at atlas.co.uk
Sun Oct 26 13:23:19 EDT 2008

Brilliant site - I love the pictures, not just for the Vairs, but also for
the backgrounds in the pix!

I followed a link from the postcards website, and it took me to Curbside TV,
which had a great article on drive-in movie theatres, with a guy who had
gone to one in his Corvair camper
(http://www.curbside.tv/review_single.php?rid=108) - and although his was
only the massively inferior and less rare 6-door variety (;-))), I can't
think of a nicer way to go to the drive-in, and it made me nostalgic for the
8-door again. (:-((((((

Anyway, from that page I was amazed and fascinated to discover that drive-in
movie theatres are still in existence in the USA (505 of them, to be
precise). He gives a link at the end of the article:
http://www.drive-ins.com

My question, though, is why do so many of them style themselves 'Drive-in
Movie TheatREs, rather than TheatERs? That is the Brit (and Canuck?)
spelling, but it ain't even the spelling used on the website, so why do the
Theatres (sic) themselves use that spelling?

As my favourite of all states is Idaho (well, it's a 3-way toss-up between
Idaho, Montana and Wyoming), I naturally checked out the ones in Idaho
first, and this one:

http://www.drive-ins.com/pictures/idtsoda001.jpg

spells itself 'TheatRE'. Does Idaho have its own spelling system? I think
not, because there were others in NC and Kansas, at least. So perhaps they
wanted to make them sound sophisticated and 'furrin'??

Cheers

Alan