<VV> Longest auto race

Gary Swiatowy gswiatowy at rochester.rr.com
Sun Oct 26 21:00:18 EDT 2008

There was supposed to be a real re-creation of the Great Race earlier this
year. One that included hefty entry fees, and sponsorships. A lot of
enthusiasts were looking forward to it, and this one was to be somewhat
along the original route, and NY to Paris.
This event fell apart.
One of the reasons was supposedly that the permission to drive through China
was pulled, and it was too late to re-route.
A LOT of entry fees were collected, and the money is now
gone....................

The promotor of the current Longest Race, put this one together for the
sheer love of the hobby, and to commemorate the event. No entry fees, and a
fun time for those who participate, whether it is for the entire journey or
a part of it.
The late October date was the best they could put it together for giving the
short time they had to do it, due to the cancellation of the original event.

I aplaud him for what he and his group have accomplished.

Gary Swiatowy

And yes, maybe you have to have a screw loose to go cross country at this
time of year in an open car.
But then again, look what they had in 1908!