<VV> Early drums

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Mon Oct 27 12:03:22 EDT 2008

Hi folks,

This weekend I pulled the drum from the wheel on the '62 wagon that
the brake was sticking on, and the primary friction material fell on
the ground!  So, it's going to get new brakes and I'd like to do a
few upgrades along the way, this particular car is a pretty solid
example and will be a nice car when it's done.  I had read somewhere
that Datsun Z car drums will fit on an early.  Seems like a nice
upgrade, going to an aluminum drum (steel liner).  Anyone tried this?

BTW, I picked up a pair of 15 x 6.5" wheels and 205/55 tires to test
fit on the wagon, they look like they'll work out, at least on the
rear.  These particular wheels will need longer studs, tho, so more
on that when I have better info.

One other little question - does the Corvair PG use a different pan
from the front engine variety?  I put Clark's pan on a club member's
car a few weeks ago and the subject came up.  I would guess the
answer is yes since Clark's went to the trouble of having the pan
made, but I thought I'd ask.

--Bryan

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
http://autoxer.skiblack.com/
   Corvairs: '61 Lakewood, '64 Greenbrier, '65 Corsa, '66 Corsa