<VV> Wheel cylinder sizes

Delta Mfg. deltainc at grm.net
Wed Oct 29 06:31:43 EDT 2008

> In a message dated 10/28/2008 12:18:49 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
> bryan at skiblack.com writes:
>
> Sure - but the question is, do early Corvairs lock the rears  first?
> Fronts first?  Or are they paragons of braking and  lock all four at
> the same time?  Come on now, *somebody* knows  :-)

**********
A little known secret is that there never was actually an " early " model
.... those had off the assembly line  the same pointy nose and pointy tail
as the " Late " models ... the difference was the vastly improved brakes of
the " Late" .... all the earlies become square at the front and back because
of the poor brakes of the first years ....  they just didn't stop in time,
either going forward or backward.

Some of the " earlies " were formed to the squared off shape, just getting
them loaded on the trucks at the gm plants ... if they made it to a dealers
in original form, none would survive the initial parking at the dealer lots.

When Chevvy put Nova/Chevelle sized brakes on the Corvair in the 1965 model,
the squaring-off stopped, and most of todays cars are still true to their
beautiful design profile.

Thats the way a guy in our local cowboy bar explained it to me.

reargards, ken campbell, idaway