<VV> Corvair braking "problem"

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 29 17:32:24 EDT 2008

I ran with the NECC group at Blackhawk farms in '01 when the convention was
in Chicago.  Turn 1 is pretty much of a 90 degrees to the right.  There are
markers - 4 - 3- 2 - 1 as you get closer to the turn.  In my first run, I
braked at the 3.  That was too early (way too early).

Oh - driving a stocker  - 140 hp - '66 coupe with stock (nearly fresh
shoes).  By the time I tested that corner well enough, I was just past the 1
before I got HARD on the brakes during the actual racing.  I was getting
around the course much quicker with this approach - on all the tight turns.

I wore a fair amount off the shoes that day and had the drums quite hot -
nearly red - but I did not experience any brake FADE all day.  Them there LM
brakes can take a lot of abuse.  BTW - took first in the class - in a car
(the icemobile) that tech did not want to pass because I'd filled the tank,
forgetting about the leaky filler neck.

Later, JR