<VV> Steering Gear

Geoffrey Johnson geoffj at unm.edu
Thu Oct 30 21:50:49 EDT 2008

I took the steering box out of my '66 500 sedan today hoping a
thorough cleaning with new bearings etc would help it.    Sadly the Worm
Nut and Pitman gear are horribly gouged and worn.    Someone had packed
the box with grease and it channeled over the years and made a mess.
SO I had the bright idea to take apart a '63 box I had on hand to see if I
could use parts from it.    While the parts are in great shape,  the worm
nut is
different in length.   The worm has another thread or so as well.
So is there some combination of parts I could use to get it back together
with these two?    I have lots of spare early parts, but no spare late
steering boxes!

Thanks
Geoff Johnson