<VV> Ceramic Coatings Questions

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Thu Oct 30 21:25:39 EDT 2008

Hello JE,

Thanks for the reply.  I have a few comments/questions regarding some of the
info in your response.

1.  Yes, "warm up" can mean more than one thing.  Thanks for your response to
one of them.  Living in LA, I am not overly concerned with the windshield
frost issue you bring up but others might be which is why I am copying this to
VV. There is at least one other warm up issue besides the two you bring up.
Please see below.

2.  You ask why would it be an area of concern that the pistons are insulated
from the heat.  I am aware that the rings are the seals between the pistons
and the cylinder walls.  I am also aware of the differential thermal
coefficients of expansion between the aluminum piston and the steel cylinder.  Reading
into your response,  I assume that you are too.  I do know that there is a
specific gap range between the piston OD and the cylinder ID when cold that is
based on the expected gap once operating temperatures are reached.  Since the
steel cylinder expands less than the aluminum piston due to increased
temperature, I expect the gap (when cold) to become reduced at elevated temperatures
without coatings.  With the use of thermal coatings on the combustion chambers and
piston heads, I expect that the cylinder will expand more at the elevated
chamber temperatures and the piston diameter will expand less with its reduced
temperature thus increasing the gap between them.  My question regarded the
overall difference between the potentially shrinking gap without coatings vs. the
increasing gap with the coatings.  In addition, the rings you brought up are
supported by the slots in the piston.  With the anticipated larger gap, the
rings will be hanging further out from the slots without the full designed
support of the slot.  I think that this may also be a factor in the warm up issue
posed in question number 1 but my main question is, should the piston to
cylinder gap be reduced when cold to compensate for the reduced increase in the gap
when hot?  Forgive me for not being more clear initially.

3.  Thanks.  Between your response and others, this has been answered quite
well.

4.  No, JE, I am not joking with any of my questions but thanks for asking.
Yes, I agree that insulating anything aft of the turbo will not increase the
velocity of hot gas through the turbo.  However, it is my understanding that
increased temperatures through the exhaust system will significantly reduce
their life span and will elevate the air temperature within the engine bay thus
increasing the temperature of air to the intake.  As I understand it, the pipe
wrap in the engine bay is minimal.

5. Yes, JE, this could well be an issue for me and others considering the use
of thermal coatings.  A "few hundred more degrees" can be significant "in the
grand scheme of things" when you consider that the body paint is in such
close proximity to the muffler.  Thanks for the mini lesson in thermodynamics but
I was looking for some feedback on whether the elevated temperatures caused a
problem in real use.  Since the muffler is easy to get to and relatively
inexpensive, I might consider coating the outside with a thermal barrier at the
cost of reduced muffler life.  It is a whole lot cheaper than a new paint job.

At the risk of sounding pejorative, I guess I do tend to over think things.
I would think (no pun intended) that thinking (no pun intended) something
through or even over thinking something is much better than acting without
thinking (no pun intended.)  It has prevented me from getting into hot water (hot
air? ... pun intended) on many occasions.  I highly recommend it to anyone out
there.

Doc (also a PE)
1960 Vette; 1961 Rampside; 1962 Rampside; 1964 Spyder coupe; 1965 Greenbrier;
1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe; 1967 Nova SS; 1968 Camaro ragtop