<VV> wiring harness repair.my backwoods ways again.

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Fri Sep 5 05:59:02 EDT 2008

not for the faint of heart! , but i have made a few nice looking wiring
harnesses , and will make more for my vehicles soon. i do this because i want
added wires hidden properly for tach and other options. i start with an old
correct harness. i stretch it out between a vise and other support. i then
carefully untape it all. i replace wires that look at all bad with new wire. i  add
my wires , just taping it at a few spots to hold things in place. when i  have
it all together , i then tape the whole bundle trying to maintain a factory
look. i use a wide (looks factory) electrical tape i found at a hamfest years
ago. it does have sticky on it , unlike the factory stuff. after i have it
all  wrapped , i then cut the end lengths and crimp / solder ends on the wires.
then  i "pack" the connectors with the wires. i usually have the book out or
an old  extra harness to help put the terminals in the correct holes.
it takes patience , but darn few have noticed the home made harnesses in my
vehicles. i did a couple center harnesses adding wires for the tach and cruise
 control. also had an extra heavy new power lead for my head lights and ham
radio  built in. clarks has the ends needed , or i buy them by the box at napa.
i save  ends from butchered harnesses out of vehicles i have parted out for
"raw  material" . i save center harnesses for the wire , because they are
usually in  very good shape , no matter how bad the car is.  then you have the
correct  colors and plenty long enough wire to work with. it aint easy , but it is
 something you can do, and it is nice to be able to say you made it yourself.
 plus it saves big bucks.  no scotch locks , and if a slice is really needed
i would do it by soldering and shrink tubing..more than one layer of tubing.
then tape it into the original harness. i just like building it myself. if
you  look at it the engine harness is not that complicated. i started this years
ago  when i was converting early cars over to alternator and adding trailer
light  wiring.
regards, tim colson

deal here.