<VV> Ultra Van question / hydraulic brake lock

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 7 00:59:31 EDT 2008

All my experiences, and I have a few, with hydraulic brake locks have
been with Mico branded products -- http://www.mico.com/
<http://www.tsmmfg.com/mico_hydraulic_brake_lock.htm>  -- on commercial
service and utility type vehicles, like tow trucks.

For a remote installation, like on an ultra, an electric unit would
probably be the correct choice, BUT, the number one warning for using
these devices is that they are for providing supplemental hydraulic
braking application, in addition to a mechanical parking brake, i.e.,
they will hold the vehicle on a hill while you get out and put your
chocks under the wheels, if that is what you have for a parking brake.

     "MICO Brake Locks are for supplemental parking and are to be used
in conjunction with a vehicle's mechanical parking brake. They perform
as operational parking brakes only and are not intended for prolonged
parking. There are several types of brake locks available, including
electrohydraulic <http://mico.com/products/displaysubinfo.php?id=20>,
dualock <http://mico.com/products/displaysubinfo.php?id=22>, lever
<http://mico.com/products/displaysubinfo.php?id=43>, twist
<http://mico.com/products/displaysubinfo.php?id=50>, and cable
<http://mico.com/products/displaysubinfo.php?id=21> actuated."

The reason for this is that they will eventually bleed off, more so with
age and use, and one does not want to look out the window and find that
our dear friend gravity is moving your ultra to the lowest spot in the
neighborhood without your permission.

One may want to note that there are differences, in the Mico line of
products, between their 'electrically activated' devices and their
'electrohydraulic' systems.

and as a PS:, most state laws require a mechanical parking brake.

Godspeed!

Bill Strickland
<http://www.tsmmfg.com/mico_hydraulic_brake_lock.htm>