<VV> Strange drive train experience, excuse the lenthy post.

JKFG717 at aol.com JKFG717 at aol.com
Mon Sep 8 10:22:05 EDT 2008

While driving my 65 Monza vert, 110 PG 59 K miles, more often with the  nice
weather. yesterday I drove the car about 13 miles, left it for about four
hours. Then drove it another 13 miles. On the second 13 I heard a noise from
what I thought was the rear of the car. Hard to do in a convertible but it
sounded like a rubbing sound. Once up to speed I either couldn't hear it or it
went away. I got home and it sat for about 40 mins. I restarted and set out for
a 25 mile drive. While driving the car acted like for no other description
like  it was held back. Like when you forget the emergency brake. No odd smells
or  overheat though. Gradually it seemed ok. Interestingly our local club
president  was behind me and I didn't know it. He didn't mention any thing when we
got  along side each other at the light. When I got to my destination the car
sat for  about 5 hours. When I set out to drive home the temp had dropped
about 10  degrees. I noticed again the same noise from earlier that day. four or
five  miles into the drive the car felt like either: the alignment had just
changed a  lot, a wheel was loose, a tire was going flat. It was shaking enough
to cause  the drivers door glass to rattle, and you could feel it like it was
going  through the whole car, not just the front end. It got progressively
worse with  speed increase, at 50 mph I backed off because I got too nervous. At
about the  20 mile mark it was really noticeable. It just feels like the car is
dragging,  then shaking. The Trans shifts fine. The carbs need a little
adjustment,(they  are new), and some minor tune issues. I parked the car in the
garage and lifted  the hood. No unusual heat or smells there. You could now smell
what is best  described as melting plastic mixed with rubber. None of the
smell in the very  warm engine though. Moving around the back of the car on my
hands and knees I  noticed a strange very black liquid dripping from the area
between the end on  the engine and whatever is attached there before the
transmission. I couldn't  figure out from the shop manual what that area is called.
The bell housing?  Anyway moving from the rear to the right side over the tire
was about 5 times  hotter than the left side. If you hold your hand over the
right rear tire are,  not the tire itself, it was very warm. The left side was
warm but much cooler,  like the engine compartment. There are no lower shrouds
on the car. This morning  the smell was gone. Everything was cool. The black
fluid was about the size of a  football on brown cardboard I put there that
night. The car has no other leaks,  believe it or not. I checked all the
dipsticks(3), all clean and full, nothing  black. So, is it a seal? A wheel bearing?
Any help with diagnosis would be  helpful. I was planning to get the car
aligned soon too. The tires are brand new  and balanced properly, all correctly
inflated 13 inch radials. 22 lbs front, 32  lbs, rear.

Thanks,

Jim Govoni
CORSA
Group Corvair