<VV> Strange drive train experience

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 8 14:38:30 EDT 2008

Well,

First of all, 90wt (for the diff only on a PG car) has a very distinct odor - even when still in the bottle (or when sniffing the dip stick on a '65).  I asked about the odor in an effort to determine if the leak was from the diff.  If you do not notice the odor on the diff dip stick in the right front corner of the engine compartment, I wonder if someone put 10/30 oil in there?

>From your description, I'm thinking that you might possibly have more than one problem going on here.

I'm thinking a dragging brake shoe or broken part inside the drum (a piece of lining broken off as an example) which is creating the heat you mention on the right side.  I'm also thinking a possible failing U joint - but don't think that would create a noticeable amount of difference in the heat levels - side to side which you mentioned.

Do me a favor, take off the rear wheel covers and drive around for a few blocks while things are cold.  See if the noise you heard is gone or not.  It could be (the noise) as simple as wheel cover flex - usually only noticeable at lower speeds and colder temps.  For the puddle - a leak at the bell housing seal OR at the diff -side yoke- where the axle half shafts and inner U joints attach.  You might wish to spray things down with brake clean (well, after scraping off any buildup of grease/dirt/oil/road grime/etc) and get things pretty darn clean and dry.  Stay away from the U joints with the brake clean.  Then take your ride (sans wheel covers) and look under the car when you return for where your leak is emanating.

Good luck with it.

Later, JR