<VV> CLicking noise

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 9 14:11:25 EDT 2008

>Do you have wire wheel covers?

Or loose centers in other styles, or a loose lug nut or gravel?  Pulling
the hubcaps for a second test sounds like a good start.

My wife's car, a 2001 Olds Alero we bought with 2,000 miles on it, made
some odd noises at times that got worse as time went on -- they
warranted a brake job, a hub bearing, and other items before we finally
wore out the oem tires, and when they were replaced the noise went away
-- we later learned the oem tires had been recalled, but we had failed
to switch the tire warranty when we did the car warranty (little
experience with new cars), so didn't get the notice.

Noises can be some of the simplest things or some of the most difficult
to diagnose -- maybe traveling along side in a second (quiet) car would
be useful in getting a feel for the noise.

VW's, with that big nut holding the rear wheel onto a tapered shaft
would sometimes start a little clicking noise from the back, especially
noticeable driving alongside guardrails -- generally means you need to
lube the points rubbing block (a frequent VW issue), after you pull the
hub cap to check to be sure the nut is tight.

Thoughts from 2¢ land,

Bill Strickland