<VV> CLicking noise

Brandes, Guy GBrandes at loebermotors.com
Tue Sep 9 14:14:44 EDT 2008

Why not get it up on a hoist or jack stands and let the engine turn over
in gear or engine off, if it's a u-joint you should be able to hear it.

Regards,

Guy Brandes

Try several slow speed turns - L & R - say in the 10 to 15 mph range
with
the windows (top if a vert) down.  You might even turn off the IGN
through
the turns so you can hear the other car sounds better.  If you have
wheel
covers, have them removed at this time.  You should be able to determine

which side the sound comes from.  From what you've said so far, I do
suspect
it is a U joint about to fail.

Later, JR

CCE CORSA CORVANANTICS SCG member
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110
'65 Monza Convertible 4/140

> Today, I drove slowly next to a wall for about a quarter mile
(traffic). I
> heard a clicking noise that changed with speed but not with RPM. It
> sounded
> like it came from the rear but I can't be sure. Throughout the day I
> thought
>

> I am having my Cruise and Party this weekend so I will not be able to
put
> her in the air and take a look see until weekend after next. When I
do, I
> plan to rotate each rear tire and look & listen to the U-joints.
>

> Looking in my assorted manuals, it looks like a rather simple job to
> replace
> U-joints on my 64 diff.
>

> Any thoughts, suggestions or tricks?
>

> Dave Thompson