<VV> swap meet future, was: Fan Belt Toss??

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 16 13:36:03 EDT 2008

Indeed, and we have the internet (notably eBay) to thank. Or curse, as the
case may be.

On one hand, it's great having access to parts from one's own home. But
then there's also value in being able to see the part in your hands, "live"
and not in a picture that may not be clear enough.

I've also seen the model car market go the same route. The Toledo Toy Show
used to fill two big exposition halls and spill into a third. Now it
struggles to fill one. The problem with "shopping" on evilBay is that you
first have to KNOW something exists before you can hunt it down. With a toy
show, I've stumbled onto models that I didn't even know existed, or found
that I had a yen to own a model of something, resulting in a purchase that
just wouldn't have happened any other way. THAT is the real value in a toy
show/swap meet kind of venue. Call it impulse buying, but it moves the
merchandise.

Same thing is true with car parts swap meets. There simply is no substitute
with having the item in your hands, something online shopping will NEVER
equal. EBaying one's parts may be able to turn over some of the inventory,
but I feel that those who neglect bringing their parts to swap meets such
as the Toss (or CORSA national conventions) are simply missing out on ALL
available potential venues.

This year's CORSA national convention (outdoor) swap meet, BTW, was
pathethic, IMHO. Even Portland three years ago was disappointing. By
contrast, DACC's Homecoming this year had a lot more vendors, and much
better parts selection as well. Or is it that west coasters simply aren't
into swap meets? Certainly they've got to have parts out there.....

-Mark