<VV> Fan Belt Toss??

corvairs corvairs at pacifier.com
Tue Sep 16 17:26:49 EDT 2008

Mark, As you know, you and I have talked this very subject over many
times over the years. Your observations are correct. Over 5 years ago I
started to "lobby" the Palm Springs people to move the emphasis towards
the car show. There is no reason why Palm Springs can't continue as a
viable event for years to come. But the reliance on the swap meet as
central to survival will kill that future.

Website selling,  Ebay, even  our (all the vendors) own long term
success and reputation  (paper catalogs etc.) have contributed to this.
More recent issues that have not helped are the big increases in travel
expenses and the higher average age of the Corvair owners. It is not
wrong to point out that the market itself has somewhat "fossilized" -
every single vendor of any record (large and small) have been at it for
20 years or better. There simply isn't much "mystery" anymore involved
in finding 99% of the Corvair parts you need.

Survival in the future applies to vendors as well as events. If we do
not change the way we do things we become obsolete. That is not the same
thing as saying the Corvair hobby has no future. While the one time
change to the OC may not end up being the answer, we had better (if we
know what's good for the future of the hobby) not trash the risk takers.
We also CANNOT ignore the shrinking attendance at Palm Springs, both by
the vendors AND the attendees.

Perhaps the "solution" will be to leave Palm Springs in Palm Springs
(and continue to watch it decline) and start a new type of event in late
Winter-Early Fall somewhere else.

Lon Wall
Former Western Director