<VV> where's YOUR Fanbelt Toss this Year? (a bit long)

Rod Murray rmurray at anaheimducks.com
Tue Sep 16 15:32:35 EDT 2008

for anyone who hasn't seen the previous VV threads, here's a quick HOST
CLUB followup ...

Q:  WHO DECIDED TO MOVE THIS YEAR'S EVENT?
A:  The members of vintage corsa...

Q:  WHY?
A:  Variety of reasons...
1) The week-long ventura nationals this summer already provided the
established Corvair group with the opportunity to catch up.  We felt it
was also important to promote the Corvair beyond this established group.

2) Our opinion that the declining attendance in palm springs is
reflective of the similar decline in overall CORSA membership and
interest over the past several years.  Remaining Status Quo does nothing
to address this issue and even suggests that we are willing to accept it
as inevitable, which we are not (this latter issue has been discussed on
VV on many many occasions).

3) Hosting the event where existing and potential new enthusiasts
already are rather than ask them to drive out to Palm Springs just makes
sense.  Unless you are already into Corvairs, the return on that
investment has already proven to be small...

4) The OC Marketplace draws weekend crowds of almost 10,000 people.
These crowds visit the Marketplace to enjoy a unique and relaxed outdoor
shopping experience, and demographics will tell you that this audience
has disposable income to spend on toys & hobbies, including classic
cars.  This is a tremendous opportunity to showcase and promote not only
YOUR Corvair, but the Corvair marquee as a whole, including the ample
supply of vendors, enthusiasts, and new & used parts.  Overall, this is
an opportunity that Palm Springs simply can't touch.

Q:  IS THE MOVE PERMANENT?
A:  No.  Vintage made the decision for this year only.  Moving forward,
the host club can continue to hold the event either at or away from palm
springs each year as it deems best.

in my opinion, it would be unfortunate for anyone to pass on this year's
event just because it's not in palm springs...sure, it'll be different,
but it's gonna be fun - especially if YOU make the trip!  Keep in mind
we expect to see an increased showing from several SoCal Corvair owners
and enthusiasts who have never made the trip to palm springs...Heck the
MarketPlace alone is a great way to spend the day.

If you need more info, check out the GWFBT link on our
www.VintageCorsa.com
home page...

Btw, I'm chuckling over the "grueling" drive reference...c'mon...at
worst, if you get caught in traffic, roll down your windows and thank
the person in the next lane who's giving you the thumbs up and saying
"awesome car!"

Vairy best, and look forward to seeing everyone at the toss.

Rod Murray
Vintage Corsa
www.VintageCorsa.com