<VV> Hoosier Show/Swap

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 21 15:20:07 EDT 2008

Hello everyone,

You've wondered where I've been?

I just returned from the Hoosier Show/Swap and Circle City Corvair club
awards banquet.  The weather was great and the rain held off till after the
show/swap.  We were indoors for the banquet, so it do not matter anymore.
There were a few impressive bolts of lightening with attendant loud bursts
of thunder in the late afternoon, but nothing out of the ordinary for the
mid-West.

Both the show and the swap meet seemed reduced in size from past years, but
I must admit that my last time there was 2000.   Lot's of really nice cars.
I did not keep track of all the winners, but do know that Jim Allen of
Peoria IL took a first with his beautiful green (tan top) '64 140 convert.
That is an absolutely gorgeous car - and this coming from a guy (me) who has
always had LMs other than the Rampside.  Sorry, no pictures (only mental
ones).  Dead batteries in the camera and no place to get new ones.

There were 40ish Corvairs present and broken into 10 classes.  Corvairs
dominated the show field since there was probably only 120 or so cars total.
I guess that the price of gas is having and adverse effect on this show.
Hopefully this can be overcome in the future as I would hate to see yet one
more previously popular show bite the dust.  There were 3 Covair venders in
the swap area and I did manage to spend some money there.  Picked up an NOS
'65 rocker molding (AKA - spear).

I received "long distance" award at the banquet.  Probably because my route
had to be severely altered in order to get down to Indy.  NW Indiana
(including some major Interstate roads) is still suffering from the effects
of very heavy rains in NE IL and NW IN of two weeks ago.  I arrived almost 2
hours later than planned, but arrived in time to see the end of the valve
cover race.

The Circle City folks make the banquet quite fun.  They must spend a lot of
time scouring for raffle prizes since there must have been 50 or more items
on the table and you got 5 tickets for each $1.00 spent.  Many folks went
home with multiple prizes.

Later, JR
CCE CORSA CORVANANTICS SCG member
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110