<VV> How to 'cold set' ignition timing ? 1967 Monza 110 PG

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sun Sep 21 19:57:13 EDT 2008

In a message dated 9/21/2008 3:45:33 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
chaz at ProperProPer.com writes:

Looks  like the only thing missing is timing -
-- how do I set the initial  position of the distributor ?

I want to get it set up right, so as not  to kill the battery trying !

Thanks
Charlie
1967 Monza 110 PG

Charlie,
First make sure that #4 means TDC at the top of the compression  stroke.

Then, with a wrench on the crank bolt rotate the timing mark on the HD over
to about 14 deg on the scale.

Then loosen the dist hold down nut slightly so that you can rotate the  dist.

Remove the cap and check that the rotor still points to #1.

Rotate the dist ccw a little and closely watch the points. Stop exactly  when
they start to open.

If you are not using points, set an AM radio close by and tune to the  upper
portion of the band with no station selected. Crank up the volume. Turn on
the ign switch. Rotate the dist as above and you should be able to hear when it
fires.

Regards,
Bob Helt