<VV> FC wiring harness: Remove,Repair, or Replace?

David Houston judgehouston at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 24 10:52:50 EDT 2008

Since Jan. 2008, I've purchased two Greenbrier vans. #1 is a 1962/63 camper that spent it's life in Az. since first registered in Feb. 1962. This vehicle has been well maintained for outdoor activities and upgraded as needed. With all the extra van load of parts, it was the best $2500. old car deal I've ever made. #2 is a $1000, 1963 van with a '63 car motor that was owned by some Harvard/Cambridge "Trust Fund Hippy" who must have been on LSD when they decided to install an audio system way beyond the capacity of the 45 year old electrical system. I lost count after 26 amateur wire splicings. I forgot to say that both vans have PG trans., Alternators, and Electronic ignitions (Ignitors).
I am seeking help through the forum on how to amend the wiring in Van #2. I've been told to remove the existing wiring harness and have a duplicate made. I removed ALL the audio wiring and replaced the Halogen headlamps with OE types. Now I have even, balanced lights. They also had a dangerous set up with the heater/electric fan hot wire set up.This easily could have caught fire. I urge all corvair owners to check and test all wiring harnesses to avoid fires. You never know what a prior owner may have done and gotten away with. Again can anyone help me with my next step? Thanks