<VV> Green Bearings

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Wed Sep 24 12:08:13 EDT 2008

John wrote:
I have been told the Green bearings sold for Corvairs are not correct. Is
this true? I have them in my 63 spyder and have been working fine. Will I be
left on the roadside with a burned out bearing some day?
John Weber
63 Monza Spyder

Craig replies:
The original bearing was an "eyeball" bearing because the rear A-arm moves
in a different arc compared to the axle. The Green bearings are fixed solid,
so you have to ask yourself "Where is the system flexing in order to allow
the suspension to go up and down?"  Could be the bearing plate, A-arm
flange, axle shaft, or ???  I haven't heard of anyone running one to
destruction, but something's got to give and that component will fail and
cause a potentially serious rear suspension failure.
Craig