<VV> Plug wires in wrong position, pressure retard unit too close to belt

Dave Thompson dave.thompson at verizon.net
Wed Sep 24 22:06:08 EDT 2008

Thanks Guys,
I got a multitude of responses from my statement below. I neglected to say
that I have a newly rebuilt distributor on my workbench waiting to be
installed. I will fix the distributor orientation when I do.

Before I purchased my Corvair last January, I spent several years with
delusions of grandeur and was planning to build an airplane. My wallet told
me to find a new hobby (my Spyder). During that time I purchased a '65 110
engine and tore it down to be rebuilt as a flight engine. I sent several
parts to William Wynne of Flycorvair.com for flight modification. The
distributor rebuild was backordered and I never bugged him about it. I have
found that the distributor in my Spyder is worn out. So I called William and
had him build my back ordered distributor for my Spyder rather than for
flight. Below is a description of what was done, copied from his website. He
installed correct stock weights, springs and points plate for a Spyder in my
distributor.

Copied from Flycorvair.com website:

[SNIP]

"The Distributor housing is thoroughly cleaned and then machined for a
second oilite bushing at the base. With two bushings, the shaft is
stabilized, effectively eliminating dwell variation. These bushings are line
bored to be in perfect alignment. The main shaft is polished in the bearing
area and shimmed to minimize play. The mechanical advance is modified to
give the full advance required for the horsepower potential of the engine to
be tapped. Light weight springs allow the advance to come in far faster than
any automotive application. This allows the full advance to be checked while
the engine is running at full static rpm, a crucial safety issue. My unique
stainless steel points plate is installed on each Distributor. This
precision, CNC manufactured plate mounts two sets of stock Corvair points
exactly 180 degrees apart. I install two CS788 points sets, lubricate them,
then install brand new caps and rotors with all brass contacts.

I personally test each Distributor on my 1960 model Allen Tune Up
distributor machine. I check the dwell, timing symmetry, start rpm, stop rpm
and total advance. Finally the Distributor is given a test run to 5,000 rpm
to verify that it is free of point bounce and shaft chatter. The Distributor
with cap and rotor weighs 2 pounds, .5 ounces. "

[SNIP]

I plan to install it this weekend, along with new plugs AND using the recent
advice from you guys. Wish me luck, I haven't replaced a distributor since I
had my Mustang back in the late 70's. I don't expect any problems.

Dave

P.S. I am hoping the new Distributor will help stop the "coughing" during
acceleration.