<VV> OOPS! Too much oil

Dave Thompson dave.thompson at verizon.net
Wed Sep 24 21:29:39 EDT 2008

Last Saturday, I changed my oil & filter in my 63 Spyder. My son borrowed
the car yesterday and drove it about 80 miles on the freeway. Tonight, I
went to drive it and by habit, I went to check the oil. The oil filler cap
was down in the bottom of the engine compartment and everything was covered
with oil, along with some puddles here and there, even in the spare tire. I
check the oil and found it to be about a quart above full. When I asked my
son about it he said "Yea, you were so low on oil that it didn't register on
the dip stick so I put in the two quarts that were in the shop." I took him
out and showed him that new oil is so clear that it is very hard to see on
the chrome dipstick. He said "Oh S#$t!!

Questions:

Could we have harmed anything (other than an oily engine compartment) on the
80-mile drive?

What are some of the easy ways to remove the extra oil without opening the
drain plug?

Thanks,

Dave Thompson

63 (wet) spyder vert

Westminster, CA

P.S. My son will be cleaning the engine compartment and shining all the
chrome outside this Saturday. BEFORE he is allowed to drive it again!