<VV> New tech. The Volt, for one.

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Thu Sep 25 07:59:25 EDT 2008

It's more like 60% of our juice comes from coal, but more importantly,
almost none of it comes from oil.

Also, even if electric cars were VERY successful, it'll probably take
10 years to replace less than half of the cars on the road with
electrics. At that rate, power plants can be built to keep up.

I also believe even electrics will have an engine/generator on board to
deal with long range issues, not to mention an on board genset will get
rid of the risk of running out of power in the middle of nowhere.

What will make electric cars succeed once the technology has acceptable
goals, is the reduction on dependence on petroleum first. Reduction of
CO2 output is nice, and will certainly help marketing, but probably
won't be first and foremost in most buyers' minds.